How Do You Like Your Eggs in the Morning?

It’s been a while since I have posted an update but in all honesty the last couple of months have been exhausting and my brain has had nothing left by the end of the day!

On the 12th of March we had our eggs collected, it sounds a lot easier than it was believe me!  We arrived at the hospital at 8am on the Monday morning after very little sleep the night before – I am blaming nerves.  We were met with by a fertility nurse who “checked” us in and went over the paperwork, double checking our details, allergies, last thing to eat etc.  Then someone from the anaesthesiology team came along to speak to us about the procedure and how they would manage my pain during the egg retrieval. We also seen a Doctor who explained the actual procedure itself.  All very formal but everyone was extremely friendly and positive, we felt safe and upbeat going forward.

We were to be second on the list and due to my history of surgeries (for Ulcerative Colitis) and me being me prone to infections after operations, I was pushed back the list a little so that I could be given an antibiotic through a drip to prevent a possible infection.  We just chilled and chatted away watching the drip drop a way.   A little while later I started to feel a weird sensation in my lips on the left side, I turned to Fraser and said “I think my lips are getting dry because I haven’t had anything to drink all day” for him to say I had fat lips – rude! Turns out I was having an allergic reaction to the antibiotics and my throat was starting to close over.  I didn’t want to make a fuss so I just let the drip finish and waited for the nurse to come back over, then I wimped out of saying anything because I thought I was being dramatic… so I waited for the anaesthetist I did know to come back and I mentioned it to her.  Next thing she is whipping out a big massive needle and said she has to administer an antihistamine over the course of one minute, straight in to my vein. Drama over, it calmed down and we were okay to head down to theatre a little while later.

They explained to me beforehand that they give you really strong painkillers so you don’t feel a thing during your operation even though you are wide awake.  They said that you are fully aware of everything that is happening at the time but afterwards you wont remember a thing.  I thought, I am a woman, I remember everything – I’ve got this!  Just before we headed down Fraser gave me a kiss and wished me luck; and the anaesthetist pushed the painkiller in to my drip.  I instantly felt drunk, it took about 3 seconds to hit me (usually 5 in a pub) and I can’t remember a thing!!

I remember waking up and being right back where I started, Fraser was there and a nurse came over to ask if I was feeling okay and if I wanted to try anything to eat or drink.  I had the sudden urge to have tea and toast – it was the best tea and toast of my life, so good I would highly recommend!

A nurse came over to see us to explain that everything had went really well and that we could head home as soon as I felt fit.  I wasn’t allowed to be left alone for 24 hours and was told to keep an eye out because I had reacted to the antibiotics, we were given the emergency number, the things to watch our for and some reassurance and we headed for home.

My Grandad came to pick us up and I said about three words, nodded a few times and woke up at home.  As soon as I got in Fraser made me a bed on the sofa and I slept for 4 hours solid, I think he checked I was still breathing a few times as I hadn’t moved an inch.  Not like me, I can be a restless sleeper.

It took me around a week to fully recover, I had to be put on antibiotics and the pain was unbearable.  I was doubled over and crying for about 5 days straight.  I had a little reaction to the antibiotics too which knocked me back a bit, but we got through it was lots of cuddles and hot water bottles.

For the more technical side of things, the egg collection was done by pushing a needle through the ovaries in to each follicle to retrieve an egg.  We got a total of 12! They were then fertilized in a lab with Frasers sample (which he had to give again on the day).  They then watched the embryos grow for 5 days.  We ended up with 5 strong contenders at the end of the 5 days. One of which was put back on the 17th of March.

The one that was put back was a grade 4AA which is really good.  The embryologist explained all the different grading at the start but the closer to an A the better.  The number can be between 1 – 6 but you would want it to be somewhere between 3-5 so we were bang in the middle.  The alphabet side of it ranges from A – E, A being the best and D, E being a not so strong embryo.  We have 4 frozen ready to go for future baby Crowes!

When the put the egg back they explain everything in great detail, how the embryo has grown and the statics for success.  It was all very mind boggling to us but truly amazing and how much science is behind making a baby.  We were in awe of all the staff on the Assisted Conception Unit in Ninewells and have had a great journey with them.  They have been unbelievably supportive, positive and professional the whole way through.  With every set back and disappointment they never gave up, we cannot thank them enough.

On the day of egg transfer it all happened very fast, we were given the rundown of what would happen and asked to change in to scrubs.  We then moved through to a very clinical area where we had lovely blue plastic bags on our feet and stepped in to the procedure room.  They transfer the best egg through a catheter in to the uterus and they watch the transfer on a screen, so we got to see the whole thing happen together which was pretty amazing.  At the time they told us the transfer had went really well and it was over in a flash.  We headed back through to put our normal clothes back on and headed for home with a hopeful heart.

Now we patiently await the results! 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s